Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Soccer dads have fun too!

Thanks for the guest post by Jonathan Curtis

I think this might be my favorite time of year, autumn. A relief from summer heat, yes, but I love watching my son at his soccer classes. Me and the other parents make it a sort of picnic every week, bringing blankets, bottled water, snacks and toys for those of us with other kids to bring along.

From the moment I set my personal alarm systems to leave the house until we pull into the parking lot, my son is talking nonstop about his friends at the class, the techniques he's learned, how funny Coach Bill is. He's really excited about the last week of class, when he and the other kids take on the parents in a game. I'm in decent shape, but looking at some of the other parents, I think the kids actually have a pretty good shot at winning.

On a side note, as a stay-at-home dad, I love taking the boys to sports classes and games because I tend to be around other dads. I can't tell you how many times I've been to an art class or play group where I'm the only dad, but at the classes, there are always a few other dads there, and it's nice to be in the presence of a little testosterone.

0 comments: